Food & Recipes
Saturday Morning Recipe: Not Your Mother’s Oatmeal
This Is Definitely Not Your Mother’s Oatmeal
The author of this rIf you know me, you know my favorite meal of the day is Breakfast. I found this recipe on one of my favorite sites for inspiration, Epicurious.com. I think this would be a great addition to a brunch spread on a lazy Sunday. It was a reprint on their site from Super Natural Every Day: Well-loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen by Heidi Swanson in April 2011.
- 2 cups/7 oz/200 g rolled oats
- 1/2 cup/2 oz/60 g walnut pieces, toasted and chopped
- 1/3 cup/2 oz/60 g natural cane sugar or maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2 cups/475 ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2-inch/1 cm pieces
- 1 1/2 cups/6.5 oz/185 g huckleberries, blueberries, or mixed berries
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C with a rack in the top third of the oven. Generously butter the inside of an 8-inch/20cm square baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, half the walnuts, the sugar, if using, the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, if using, the milk, egg, half of the butter, and the vanilla.
- Arrange the bananas in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle two-thirds of the berries over the top. Cover the fruit with the oat mixture. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Gently give the baking dish a couple thwacks on the countertop to make sure the milk moves through the oats. Scatter the remaining berries and remaining walnuts across the top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Drizzle the remaining melted butter on the top and serve. Sprinkle with a bit more sugar or drizzle with maple syrup if you want it a bit sweeter.